Professor of Finance
Poole College of Management
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695–7229
Dr. Ellis previously was an assistant professor of finance at the University of Alabama’s Culverhouse College of Commerce. He received his Ph.D. in finance from the University of Pittsburgh in 2011. Dr. Ellis’s research focuses on empirical corporate finance and investment management. He is primarily interested in the study of hedge funds, corporate governance, corporate disclosure and industrial organization. He has published articles in the Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Financial Economics, Management Science, and the Journal of Accounting Research. His work has been featured in a number of media outlets, including the Financial Times, the Economist, Reuters, and Institutional Investor and The Business Insider. Jesse is also the organizer for the NCSU Finance Workshop Series.
- How Does Forced CEO Turnover Experience Affect Directors? (with Lixiong Guo and Shawn Mobbs) 2021, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 56, 1163-1191.
- Funding Liquidity Risk and the Dynamics of Hedge Fund Lockups (with Adam Aiken, Christopher Clifford, and Qiping Huang) 2021, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 56, 1321-1349.
- Corruption and Corporate Innovation (with Jared Smith and Roger White) 2020, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 55, 2124-2149.
- The Causal Effects of Proximity on Investment: Evidence from Flight Introductions (with Leonardo Madureira and Shane Underwood) 2020, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 55, 1978-2004.
- Do Politicians Put their Money Where their Mouth is? Ideology and Portfolio Choice (with Adam Aiken and Minjeong Kang) 2020, Management Science 66, 376-396.
- The Only Fund in Town? Geographic Segmentation in the US Mutual Fund Industry (with Shane Underwood) 2018, Financial Management 47, 715-737.
- Hedge Fund Boards and the Market for Independent Directors (with Christopher Clifford and Will Gerken) 2018, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 53, 2067-2101.
- Playing Favorites? Industry Expert Directors in Diversified Firms (with C. Edward Fee and Shawn Thomas) 2018, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 53, 1679-1714.
- Portable Country Governance and Cross-Border Acquisitions (with Sara Moeller, Frederik Schlingemann, and René Stulz) 2017, Journal of International Business Studies 48, 148-173.
- The Value of Funds of Hedge Funds: Evidence from Their Holdings (with Adam Aiken and Christopher Clifford) 2015, Management Science 61, 2415-2429
- Hedge Funds and Discretionary Liquidity Restrictions (with Adam Aiken and Christopher Clifford), 2015, Journal of Financial Economics 116, 197-218.
- Out of the Dark: Hedge Fund Reporting Biases and Commercial Databases (with Adam Aiken and Christopher Clifford), 2013, Review of Financial Studies 26, 208-243.
- Proprietary Costs and the Disclosure of Information about Customers (with C. Edward Fee and Shawn Thomas), 2012, Journal of Accounting Research 50, 685-727.
14. On the Road to Better Governance: Private Meetings and Mutual Fund Voting (with Russel Jame and Will Gerken)
- Conferences: WFA (2022), CICF (2022)
15. Born to be Bad (with Christopher Clifford and Will Gerken)
- Conferences: EFA (2020), WFA (2019), Smokey Mountain Finance Conference (2019)
16.Can Better Tax Enforcement Moderate AirBnB’s Pressure on Housing Costs? (With Roger White, Jared Smith, and David Kenchington)